View Single Post
Old
03-15-2005, 08:08 AM
BM67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Hockey Outsider.........

Charlie Conacher had a hard shot but just as that quote says it was a wrist shot.........Wendel Clark had wrist shot and it was a heavy one too.......I don,t use slappers when I play hockey however I do possess one wicked wrister myself and have been known to hurt a few goalies in the process with it.......

...............I'll see if I can find that book I read where it stated the players weren't allowed to wind up their sticks to take a shot on Net.

Cheers!
Has Clark ever put a puck through the boards at MLG? Have you ever driven a goalie into the back of the net with one of your shots? The answer to both for Conacher is yes.

"He had everything. To begin with, his wrist shot was tremendous. He once blasted a puck through the boards at Maple Leaf Gardens. And he could score from anywhere - out near the blue line or in close to the net. I'll still maintain that, mechanically speaking, he was the best hockey player I ever saw." - Frank Selke on Charlie Conacher

Monkey your graph of player talent is reasonably accurate, but it represents the average talent level, not the level of the top players. There are more players that are very good at skating, shooting, etc., but the best players aren't much different. St. Louis won the Hart Trophy last year, does that make him the best player of all time? Your arguements seem to say that you think so. He's the best player in the best league, he must be the best player. Their is no reason that because the league talent level is lower, that the talent of the best players must be lower as well. It varies over the years, but has their been a better player in the league than Howe, Orr, Gretzky or Lemieux? They started playing pro @ 60, 40, 30 and 20 years ago. The overall talent level has climbed since they started play, but the top end talent has gone up and down as players came and went, or just got older.