View Single Post
Old
06-02-2010, 10:31 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

vCash: 500
Maloney is a good general manager who had a great year. Highlight was hiring Dave Tippett, perhaps the best coach in the NHL. (And those of you who follow me know I've been saying that for years) Maloney is also good at working the bargain aisle during free agency (not a bad strategy) and he trades very well. Want to see a list of one sided trades? Look at what the Coyotes have done in the last 18 months.

On the other hand, he's not proven himself at the draft table. His record with the Rangers was very spotty. Just imagine what that list of 1st rounders on his watch would look like if he hadn't traded up for Mark Stall and took Alex Bourett as the Rangers had planned. So far he's picked Turris, Boedker & Ekman-Larsson with Top 10picks. None have made an impact yet and there's real questions whether Turris will ever be an impact player.

Part of Maloney's appeal is that he is affable and very fan friendly. He and I (as well as numerous other posters here) have traded e-mail with him on a regular basis. He will stop and talk hockey anytime. That in and of itself would be a refreshing change in New York.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote