View Single Post
Old
06-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

vCash: 500
What if the Kings sign Kovalchuk this season...run with pretty much the same forward units as we had last season + Ilya and Schenn

Then at the end of the season we have alot of options.

Handzus comes off the books (but his value is fair)
Williams comes off the books (overpaid)

The Kings could also move Jarret Stoll for a draft pick after the season and let Schenn take his spot after a year of learning. Or they could keep Stoll and let Handzus go (would prefer Zeus to stay)

Quick if he has a decent enough season could possibly be moved for a younger forward or a veteran second pairing d-man.

Then going into 2011-2012, when I think this team could really contend, the Kings have a lineup like this...

Kovalchuk (8) - Kopitar (6.8) - Moller (1.1)
Brown (3.1) - Schenn (900k) - Simmonds (2.2)
Richardson (1.4) - Handzus (3) - Parse (900k)
Clifford (740k) - FA/Prospect - FA/Prospect

Scratch: Westgarth (600k), Clune 700K

Doughty (6) - Scuderi (3.5)
Johnson (3.5) - FA (4.0)
Voynov (1.2) - Greene (3.0)
Drewiskie (600k)

Bernier (1.5)
Veteran backup (900k)

+ Smyth buyout 3.0 mill

Total 58.44 million
---------------------------

That puts the Kings at the very edge of the cap, I did my best guesses on what Doughty, JJ and Simmonds might get next summer, hoping Zues re-signs for three, but if he won't we could always keep Stoll who has a slightly lower cap hit than Zues.

That does not include any bonuses for Schenn, but apparently his bonuses will be pretty much non-achievable so he can get into the lineup quicker.

Would love to keep Smyth as a 2nd liner, but just no way its going to work, not at 6 million. And no one is going to take him in a trade unless its something like Smyth + decent prospect for a draft pick, his salary is just too bad, and it will be even worse next summer. So if Ilya signs we can afford Smyth for this coming year, but not for 2012

I know Moller on the first line won't be a popular choice, but he has a nice shot and good hands and will find space playing with those two superstars, Loktionov could also fill this role if he beats out Moller

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote