Thread: Speculation: Who Stays-Marleau or Nabokov?
View Single Post
Old
06-04-2010, 01:01 AM
DROPxTHExGLOVES*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The answer to this is that there is simply nobody that can be acquired that will move Dustin Byfuglien from the front. Douglas Murray can't do it and there aren't many that are bigger than him. They had success in containing Tomas Holmstrom who has every bit of skill in front as anyone in the league. When a body like Byfuglien is in front, you have to cut the team off before they get set up to utilize the net presence.

There were plenty of problems with regards to the Sharks but most of it is due to the fact that Chicago was quicker to loose pucks. Quicker through the neutral zone and given time and space entering the zone. This defensive posture is due to an accepted disparity in team speed between the two teams.

The Sharks have decent speed. They don't have good enough speed to match up to this particular Hawks team who has quality speed all the way through their lineup.

I don't disagree with the thought of letting Nabby go for a worse goalie and improving the D in some capacity. I just don't think the team needs to get slower and losing Marleau will kill their team speed in pretty much every capacity and I don't think they can procure a suitable replacement for all the things Marleau brings with him.
I understand at the current moment that their is no one available for the job, however there is ways around it that I did not see the Sharks defense implement. They teach undersized defensemen like myself as soon as junior hockey that if someone is oversizing you infront of the net, get in front of them and do to them what they are doing to the goalie. Grab ice in front of them and block the puck before it gets to the screener and they get a chance to make a play. Seems simple enough, but it takes a tough player to take the bigger guys intimidation and **** in front of the net. This is a mental aspect of the game that the Sharks lacked.... a mental toughness that I spoke of previously.

If you ask me, the nuetral zone is the Sharks biggest problem. They are so bad at getting 3 men across the blue line at the same time. There passing is often horrible, them being unable to make the neccisary 2nd and 3rd passes to make something happen. I guess a lot of it boils down to speed. The general consencus seems to be the Shark need to get faster and tougher.

DROPxTHExGLOVES* is offline   Reply With Quote