View Single Post
Old
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
So that makes it okay?

I'm just saying, if some other team wants to pay Hamhuis 4 million dollars, that's great for him. I just wouldn't want it to be my team.
Never said it was ok. Where did you get that from my post? Most guys get overpaid in free agency. Some guys are steals, some guys are busts. At the same time, some guys are steals on entry level contracts and when they are restricted so at the end of the day, does it even out, probably so.

I don't agree to the testament of paying out huge gobs of money to build a winning team. You can fill in a hole by being smart in free agency but when guys are given $6-7 million a season it blows the market out of whack. Look at Chicago. They give Campbell that huge contract and sign Keith to an extension well below the value of that deal. We have Weber and Suter up for deals in the next 2 years, which contract do you base their new contracts on?

Market value and availability also dictate who gets what. Hamhuis is probably one of the top 5 defensemen out there in this years free agent class. He'll get paid a pretty sum of money. Is he worth top pairing money, who knows. Will he get top pair minutes and get lots of special teams play to justify his contract? Once again, who knows. Will he take his game to another level or be the pretty consistent Hamhuis we have known over the years? I have no idea if he does better, worse or the same in another system. All I know is losing him is going to hurt our blue line and our community. It's a business and you can't re-sign guys for what they do off the ice but he is a solid individual on and off the ice. It's refreshing to see but sad to see someone like him go too, if that's what happens in the end.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote