Thread: Jason Ward
View Single Post
Old
09-30-2003, 01:24 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoholica
In my opinion Jason Ward will be never the talent which Canadiens had found on him. He and Chad Kilger are two career which resemble themselves much. But to my greater regret they will finish their career like plumbers.
Actually they are drastically different players with different reasons for why they've been labelled as busts.

Ward has suffered injury after injury, which has hindered his development considerably. His character and intensity levels have never been questioned on any level; his captaining Team Canada at the WJC is a testament towards his character. You will never find captains of Team Canada who are lacking in the character and intensity department.

On the other hand, the main criticism Kilger has received throughout his career is a lack of intensity and consistency. He doesn't show a lot of emotion on the ice and doesn't play with the same character that a Jason Ward brings.

I would not disagree with you if your point is that Ward will not likely become much more than a third liner. But that's OK. If he becomes a consistently strong third liner who can chip in 15 goals and 15-20 assists, while hitting everything that moves and generally wreaking havoc on the ice, I think he'll have been a successful first round draft pick.

Kilger on the other hand, is waiver-wire material and always will be in my mind. He's the type of player that will need to drastically improve if he's to remain on the Canadiens once the kids move up.