Thread: SEL gold mine?
View Single Post
Old
06-07-2010, 03:13 AM
no.95

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
That's because they still don't get to keep their youngsters. Look at Djurgården, giving guys like Krüger and Josefson a chance. They play two seasons of SEL hockey, then they're gone. You're better off trying to find a nice import player, who can stay longer.
On the other hand guys like Krüger, Josefson etc. are dirt cheap compared to let's say Zigomanis.

Also, there's really no difference between young swedes that leave for the NHL and other players leaving. If a player is good enough, chances are he'll be on the first flight over the pond regardless of age or nationality. Look at Holös, MZA, Klubertranz or all the players leaving for the KHL for that matter. As long as Elitserien is (arguably) the third best league in the world, players will want to play where they're able to either make the most money or where the competition is the best.

It also makes sense for the "less talented" young players to take the chance via the AHL. I'm thinking about guys like Ullström who has players like Luoma, Puistola etc. ahead of him, Klingberg, J. Andersson etc. For these players this might be their only shot at the NHL. Furthermore, for the more elite players it's just their time to go abroad, I reckon guys like MPS and Markström really don't have all that much more to prove at home and for them it's just the next logical step to take in their careers.

I really don't think there's a lot the clubs should do about this apart from staying on good terms with the departing players and thereby making their own teams the primary option for when it's time for them to return back home.

no.95 is offline   Reply With Quote