View Single Post
Old
06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Assuming he'll be willing to take some sort of discount to play for the Pens, or at the very least the Pens don't overpay for him, then I think he'd be a great signing. The alternative is, who else can you think of that will a]cost as little as him and b]still has the skill to potentially* score 60+ points playing with Sid and/or Geno?

*He had 58 points on a team that struggled to score most of the year, and he looked good at the World Championships for Canada. Before this season, he's scored 77, 61 (in 66 games), 83, and 55 (in 63) points, respectively, prior to that. So I don't think it's too much to believe he could produce at, or slightly better, than that pace playing alongside Sid for an entire season.

Guerin, in contrast (the guy I'm sure you're eluding to), had seasons of 44 and 48 points, respectively, before this season. And other than a solid 36 goal season in 2006-07, has failed to record more than 60 points in any season since the lockout.

So while both are, indeed, up there at an age you should be a little worried about, in one case (Whitney) he's still proving to be a decent point producer, while the other case (Guerin) had shown even before he landed in Pittsburgh that he topped out at around 45 to 50 points (at best) for the past five or so years.
Plus he knows how to handle the puck which is something we haven't had in a winger since Hossa. He'd help the PP a lot to, he can make back door passes to Crosby and vice versa.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote