View Single Post
Old
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
To be more clear, what I meant was Burns has upside, but he also isn't 21 anymore. He's been in the league for seven years now, and he's two years away from free agency. At some point, upside is replaced by track record.

We've seen Burns has all the tools to be a dominant defenseman, but he hasn't put them all together consistently. And I totally give him a pass for the last two years due to the position switching, concussions, and new system. Hell, he's my favorite player on the Wild and by far the most talented.

But I'm also aware that his value may still be high based on potential but will soon plummet if he has another bad year, especially being closer and closer to free agency.

What are the odds Burns is a guy we build around? He's definitely a great player, but so many question marks. And it's entirely possible that he rips it up for two years and walks away from the team for nothing (probably not too likely considering he's got a giant Wild tat on his back and seems to genuinely like it here).

Back to the main point, Backstrom, Havlat, and Zidlicky have NTC's. Schultz is very much a trade target, but doesn't have the best contract. Bouchard's contract and injury severely hurt his trade status. Miettinen and Kobasew have little to no value at their cap hit. There's way too many goalies on the market to get a big return for Harding.

So if we're offered a good young player and a higher pick for Burns, maybe it's not a bad idea to take it. Maybe we get a sure thing second liner and someone who can help the club in a few years. We've got 3-4 quality defensive prospects who can come in over the next couple years, and getting younger and more skilled up front would be huge.

Bottom line, I'm not advocating the trade, but it's probably the best option to get scoring help, and it's not really a bad idea at all.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote