View Single Post
Old
06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
When you have enough quality chances but can't finish, you go after a scoring winger. When you don't have enough quality chances, you look at your centers or defensemen...or coach.

What I'd like to see (in order): an all around top 4 defenseman, a second line center, a scoring winger. Not saying you need to get them in that order, but I'd be happy if we sign a Martin/Hamhuis and Whitney (for a year or two) or go the trade route, either way I won't be overly sad if Kovalchuk is not a King.
Yeah, I agree. I didn't see all the great quality chances that the Kings just couldn't finish. A game breaker doesn't help you get out of your own zone if you can't put a pass on his tape, and the only guy we have that consistently does that now is Doughty. Johnson is still a work in progress in that area and looks promising.

What I saw mostly this season was a defense that either always made the safe play off the glass or boards (think Scuderi, Greene, and OD some of the time), or handled the puck in their own zone like it was a hand grenade on the end of their stick (think Jones, OD some of the time, and Drewiske a lot of the time).