View Single Post
Old
06-08-2010, 11:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Wow, I usually respect your strong arguments for your case, but that statement is completely wrong. There were a lot of games that the Kings dominated the scoring chances and couldn't score more than 2 goals. How many times did we talk about the lack of finishing ability in the GDTs?

If the Kings were in their zone so much and had such a weak defense, how did they end up with the third fewest shots against? The Kings had the 4th most giveaways and they were 25th in the league in blocked shots. This tells me that the Kings turned the puck over mostly in the offensive zone, probably because they don't have the player that can consistently put the puck in the net and were over passing the puck.

The Kings had a ton of offensive pressure last year and just didn't have the player that could bury the chances in the slot. How many did Frolov fail on a breakaway? What about all of the chances in the slot for Stoll, Brown and Smyth? Kovalchuk will take that possession time and will put the puck in the net.
The Kings didn't necessarily spend an inordinate amount of time in their own zone 5-on-5 during the regular season, but go back and watch the 5-on-5 play against Vancouver in the playoffs. The Kings spent a ton of time in their own zone.

Also, when they did clear the zone it wasn't with a crisp clean pass. It generally was off the glass or boards out to center, and then right back into the Kings zone. Not enough possession with enough speed coming out of their own zone and through the neutral zone. People were complaining about the dump and chase a lot. What's a forward to do when he can't get a pass on his tape in stride and has to retrieve a puck in the neutral zone or wait for it to get to him. All that forward can do is get over the red line and get it deep.

Kovy will indeed score a lot of goals if the Kings acquire him, but we need to ask ourselves what we give up to get him. If he comes at a reasonable price, great. I think we can get Marleau a lot cheaper and not be handcuffed to him for 10 years. The same can't be said for Kovalchuk.