View Single Post
Old
06-09-2010, 09:24 AM
JTG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
They don't, just like having both centers along the RW boards, it's counter productive.

Malkin in the middle(pun intended) will create, and he is big enough to take the punishment to be in that area. He also has better hands than what they have used there, and it's not like he can't still cycle out to the boards from there either.
Geno couldn't handle the middle of the ice on the PP, I don't think. He isn't strong enough, and he doesn't have the disposition to handle it. Nor would I want him taking that kind of pounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I think all PP's run through the points to some extent. If it isn't Gonchar, then there'll obviously be less emphasis on the right point bringing it up ice and distributing when set up, but we'd still be catering to where the biggest weapons are, just like any other team does.
That will remain setting up Malkin for a one timer, IMO. If Whitney is there for instance and Gogo is in Gonchar's position, some more of that will shift to the other side of the ice whether Whitney is on the half wall or left point, but anyway, the poin men are still essential in moving the puck around, keeping it in and getting shots on net.

I don't see why we cannot have more movement on our PP without that having anything to do with the need to have guys who know the point position intimately. Its not like the main guys on Chicago/Philly have particularly different roles in that respect than our guys have had. They have many more skill players at wing who can make plays, but that doesn't mean their point men play different functions than ours on the PP.
Almost every PP does have some variation of getting run from the point, but my point is, we don't need someone back there who touches the puck every single time. What happens when a shot is taken? We recover (hopefully), and it's funneled back to Sarge. That doesn't have to happen. That's what I'm saying. Rather than funneling it to one guy, spread it around, create movement, and let the PK forget about one of our guys.

Without Sarge, it makes everyone think a bit more because it's not just an automatic back to the point, but it should help with our powerplay in the fact that the PK never know who it's going to.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote