View Single Post
Old
06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Jbcraig1883

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Let's not trade a Dman. We'll make a hole by filling another.

The cap next year will be around $58.8 million. If Stoner is the #6 Dman, and we bring in another cheap #7, our entire blueline will be less that 17.5 milllion cap hit. Despite all the Schultz haters, that is actually low for a blueline. And considering that it's actually a good line, that is great news.

The issue has, and will be, our forwards. And right now, the only solution is UFAs.

Option 1: (Healthly Bouchard) Sign Kovalchuk (8m/year) (while trading Miettinen for a cheap 4th line forward). We have the cap space. Get it done. Bouchard becomes a center.

Option 2: (Heathly Bouchard) Sign Plekanec (5m/year) and Jokinen (3.5m/year) (while trading Mittens for a 4th liner). Bouchard becomes Jokinen's RW.

Option 3: (Unhealthly Bouchard) With 4 million more in cap space, you go for gold. Trade away Mittens for 4th liner. Try to sign Kovalchuk (with 7.75 m/year cap hit, 10 years)and Plekanec (4.75 m/year, 6 years) to a very long term deals. If you can get those cap hits to those numbers, you will still have 0.5m - 1m cap space, depending on which bottom liners you use.

Option 3: (Nuclear Option) Get Backstrom to waive no-trade clause. Use all the cap space to sign big UFAs and get somebody back in trade.

1. What makes you believe that Kovy would sign here for 8 per year? He has been offered more by Atlanta and also has the KHL offering quite a bit more...

2. Is Plekanec worth that much after having one strong season?

I don't think this is the off-season that is going to make us perennial contenders. Plus, rarely are teams built through free agency. If we were one or two players away from contending, I may agree, but we are not even close yet.

I understand that Schultz might be underrated but the hole that would be created if he were to be traded is closer to being filled by Scandella/Cuma/Prosser/Faulk than the hole up front. We have depth on D and none up front so it is logical that is why CF is shopping Schultz...he has value and there is depth at his position.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote