Thread: Confirmed with Link: Rangers sign Derek Stepan (Post #396)
View Single Post
Old
06-09-2010, 03:10 PM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
What makes you so sure? Just because it is unlikely that it will happen doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility. Imo Stepan could probably step into the NHL right now and not look out of place. It's a long-shot, but not impossible
He's not saying he won't be but that he shouldn't be. Yes Stepan has a ton of talent and is a very smart kid but skill and mental abilities are only half the battle in the NHL. On Wisconsin's website he is listed at 6'0 and 180 lbs. Obviously thats not tiny but hes going to need to be a bit bigger and have better skating if he wants to be a center in the NHL. We talk about size with someone like MZA but he has been playing against men for the last 2 years and knows what it takes to play at the pro level.

With the logjam at center of Drury, Dubinsky, Christensen, Anisimov, and possibly people like Prospal and Boyle, Stepan would be better served playing in a prominent role in HFD than the 3rd or 4th line in NY. Like I said, he has a ton of skill and hockey sense but I don't think he is physically mature enough to play top 6 minutes in the NHL yet and I think thats what Crow was getting at.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote