View Single Post
Old
06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Little Nilan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlnjcb View Post
I should have given you guys more info. I am currently starting hockey and I'm 16. I just thought it would be good for me to get into shape. I was looking at things I could probably do at home.
You're pretty young for a program like Starting Strength, which calls for heavy weights on the squats and deadlifts eventually. Unless you have a coach, it might be better to look at something else, like a general fitness program.

If you really want a heavy weighted leg exercise, then you could look at Front Squats. They are very sport specific and perfect for hockey. Unlike back squats, they don't stress the spine or at least not nearly as much.

Here's a way of getting the benefits of a back squat without the potential injury issue when you don't have patience (i.e. you're young) or don't have a coach:

Front squats: Works the posterior chain, the core, your upper back, your flexibility with little stress on the spine.

Make sure you raise your elbows as you go down and your trunc upright. Check on the internet for proper technique, but its much easier to learn than a full back squat.

Natural glute ham raises: A bodyweight exercise, will give you iron hamstrings, excellent for generating power (if combined with some plyometrics):

Side bends: your obliques are an essential part of a strong core,

(ignore the homo music), you can also do these standing.

Leg ups and sit ups from back ext. machine with weight BEHIND your head:

Add a dumbell between your legs or get your legs up to your face without adding momentum. The mouvement starts from a stop.

Don't do it like this idiot though, the weight should be BEHIND your head.

Back extensions:

You can add weight in front of you here, but ideally behind you is best (though you should just concentrate on doing reps at your age).

Reverse hypers: absolutely amazing if you suffer from back pain.

One leg squats: Absolutely the best unilateral exercise you can do. Perfect for hockey players and extremely sport specific:

If they're too hard, do them with a bench behind you and lower it gradually.

For your upper body: pull ups, chin ups, dips, push ups. If you want to add some resistance training: bench press (learn how to bench, don't flare your elbows, look for the powerlifting technique so you don't get injured), overhead press, dumbell and barbell rows (though you should wait until you have a base of strength, maybe when you're eighteen for the rows). What you can do instead are horizontal rows, which are very sport specific:

The lower, the harder.

Don't do curls or tricep extensions, they're essentially useless for you.

For power, powercleans and plyometrics do the job.

A sample week could be:

Front Squats
Pull ups
Back extensions
Push ups
Abdominal work

One leg squats
Press
Glute Ham raises
Horizontal row
Abdominal work

Front squat
Chin ups
Reverse Hyper
dips
Abdominal work

To this, you add in some speed work, 1 or 2 days for 15-20 minutes to which you add some anaerobic trainnig (HIIT). Your HIIT Can be 1 or 2 Tabatas at the end of your workout. A tabata is when you go "all out" for 20 secs and rest for 10, then repeat until you get to 4 minutes. Any exercise will do.

For speed work, a good way of determining how much work to do sit his:

Plan a 3 week cycle. Choose an exercise (box jumps, power cleans, plyometric push ups), find what your best is at it (say 100lbs for the power cleans or 25 inches for the box jumps), then do the following:

Week 1, do 12 sets of 2 reps at your 50% of maximum, 45 sec rest.
Week 2, do 10 sets of 2 reps at your 60% of maximum, 45 sec rest.
Week 3, do 8 sets of 2 reps at 70% of your maximum, 45 sec rest. You can incorporate speed days in each of your work days at the start. This takes about 10-15 minutes. You can use this scheme for any exercise, as long as you do the reps FAST, but without cheating on your form. 50% is a light weight, keep it that way, even for jumps, it's a small jump. The point is the generate power and speed. So after each 3 week wave, you should be faster and more powerfull.

And also, warm up, that can mean do steady state cardio (bike), dynamic(not static) stretching or mobility work or just use the 45lbs bar and do the exercise you planned for the day at high reps. The goal is the warm up, not strain yourself under a load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I think I would disagree on you here, I am pretty sure I read in Wayne Gretzky's book that he could barely do push-ups and chin-ups

Of course today's game is more geared towards power forwards, so being in great shape helps a lot

For workouts I like to do a lot of stuff on the swiss balls, they are good for building core muscles

Plyometrics are good as well.
Oh, I don't really disagree that much with you, though I disagree with examples like Gretzky, who was skilled out of this world. I think for fringe players, and 99.9%+ of players are, we need at least some kind of core/lower body/posterior chain base of strength.

I like plyometrics as well, box jumps are excellent.

For core, I usually do a lot of heavy side bends of different kinds, heavy high rep good mornings, lots of squats and deadlifts, standing abdominal work, leg ups with weights, leg ups to face and front squats.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote