View Single Post
Old
06-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
The 1 goal games, yes. Believe me, I'm not trying to take anything away from Marty. But it feels like (yes, from my biased perspective...there's no real way to be objective here) if Hank wasn't there to play the games that he has, stopping the shots that he has, the Rangers have absolutely NO chance. Quality of chances, etc.

Of course, this might be simply a product of me being a Rangers fan. But even the last few games of this season, Hank had to constantly face 25-30 shots a game to keep us in it.

Mostly, it comes down to Hank having to play with the idea in his head that any one goal he gave up would ruin the game for us because of our putrid offense.

Marty has had a lot of the same, but this was never about him. It was just about Hank's mental toughness, which as I said earlier, deserves recognition.

Looking at the shots faced, goals scored per team, etc., they're about as even as can be. Hank may flip out more, and is streaky, but all goalies go through bad stretches, and Brodeur has been giving up more bad goals in recent years, it feels like.

EDIT: and, I'd like to retract my initial point of saying Marty hasn't had to deal with the same that Hank has. It's easy to get caught up in the "former" Devils and think of Brodeur playing behind that team when discussing his legacy and play. But that's simply no longer the case.
Brodeur: 2004 shots in 77 games: 26 shots per game
Henrik: 2109 shots in 73 games: 29 shots per game

a really interesting number here is
Craig Anderson: 2233 shots in 71 games: almost 32 shots per game

sheesh.

not saying anything with regards to the argument (ppl know where i stand on this issue), but its an interesting stat to look at.

i wish the NHL measured quality chances or scoring chances.

and i wish they counted posts too, its another interesting stat to look at.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote