MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
No need for niceties.
...okay then.

Quote:
So here goes, superstition? Grab a clue MM...this isn't superstition, it's actually a proven psychology...
So your argument is that the Penguins whiffed on their scoring chances because they were psychologically distraught? I have trouble seeing it, they're a pretty pressure-tested club and were dominating the game heavily.

Although I do wonder about that Game 7. That did look like a panicked squad to me... and lo, the stats do reflect that they sucked.

Quote:
I do analyze what happened on the ice. The difference with me is, I'm not dependent on or fazed by shots on goal and other mostly useless stats.
All right, I won't be nice here. This smacks of watching the game and deciding what happens here based on the results and dismissing anything that doesn't actually support your biased perception as "useless stats".

Stats are not useless. Claiming they are may allow you to stay confortable with your illusions, but it doesn't change the facts.

Quote:
So if you use logic, which you've carved out your niche here on, logic says: The Habs are a hockey team, Halak is a Hab, Halak stoned the Pens, therefore the Habs stoned the Pens .
Fair enough, except that -- and this is part of my point -- there's no way Halak can keep this up long-term. Not unless he's the reincarnation of Hasek with some Roy thrown in. I don't think it's fair to him to ask him to be the best goalie in NHL history, which is what he would need to be to pull off that level of goaltending consistently over the course of his career.

Quote:
Yes...I know. I have a diploma of technology in computer systems from BCIT...Trust me, I fully understand the impact of technology....btw, know how to calculate the address space on a... ?
*eyes the Computer Science B.Sc. on the wall* Um, well, I just might actually. :geek:

Quote:
That said, I know from experience that instincts, confidence, attitude, fear, intimidation and other intagibles are as important, if not more important, than statistics
Except that, if those things make you play better, the results should be visible on the ice and if they are, they will be reflected somewhere in the plethora of advanced stats that get collected nowadays. See, this is the key point in the whole intangibles vs. stats debate -- it's not orthogonal. If the intangibles have an effect on the game, the stats will pick it up.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote