View Single Post
Old
06-10-2010, 12:57 PM
totalkev

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post

Sorry but your extreme pessimism on just about everything they do is hilarious when we haven't got to UFA or the draft. You think JR is horrible (and he is, SOMETIMES) but you don't realize many teams would kill to have the success we had over the last decade. 3 playoffs, 3 ECFs, 2 Cup finals and 1 Cup win are a lot more than most teams have.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Have a little faith, geez.

I normally don't do these type of posts but if you think I'm just out to argue with you all the time for no reason, you are mistaken. I just happen to disagree with you on just about everything... if you don't want to address my posts, fine.. then put me on ignore or something.
Yeah, yeah. I know we've had three deep playoff runs, and as a former Whalers fan, I really do appreciate it. I was there for Game 7 in 2006 and I got to see my team lift the Cup. Not many fans can say that, and I will be forever grateful.

But we've also missed the playoffs five of the past seven seasons since the 2002 run to the Final. Our scouting budget is embarrassing. We cheaped out and split an AHL team for many years. We nickel and dime our guys during their productive RFA years, only to overpay them massively once they reach UFA status and their production declines.

Many of the problems leading to these bad seasons were easily preventable by a GM who understands the nature of building a team. The worst thing to me about these struggles is that Rutherford continues to do the same thing over and over expecting different results. We continue to basically ignore Europe in our scouting, we continue to overpay for veterans, we continue to put up with a losing coach, we continue to giftwrap important minutes to vets and we continue to give few prospects legitimate chances to play in key situations on top lines.

IT DOESN'T WORK!!

Once is a mistake, twice is bad, three times is inexcusable. But three times, Rutherford has brought back a veteran team after a long playoff run, and three times they have finished at the bottom of the league.

Now, all signs point to a similar offseason, filled with the inability of JR to do anything to address the team's obvious weaknesses.

You can agree or not, but it shouldn't be that hard to make the playoffs. It shouldn't be that hard to *return* to the playoffs after reaching the Eastern Conference Final, yet we're 0-for-3 in that situation, once managing to finish DEAD LAST (and it was *NOT* on Peter Laviolette's watch that that particular disater occurred, Mr. Karmanos).

So you can point at the budget, or you can point at three successful seasons, but none of it changes the fact that I don't personally feel that Rutherford is doing what he should be doing to get us to the point of consistently make playoff appearances. He's created a "country-club" atmosphere around the entire organization, which extends to the obvious nepotism in the front office (Jason Karmanos as the asst. GM despite quitting at one point), the obliviousness to the laughingstock that is Tripp Tracy, and the desire to continue to pay former players (Francis, Wesley, Barrasso, Rowe, Daniels, Brindy sure to come later -- to that point that we have more assistant coaches and associate coaches than any team in the league).

We could save Karmanos millions if we got down to a head coach and two assistants like every other team in the league. We could save millions if we scouted better. We could save millions by not giving ridiculous contracts to fan favorites who clearly don't have it anymore.

My fear is that JR is going to sign Whitney, once the UFA period starts slowly for Ray (see Cole, Erik and LaRose, Chad). I fear that JR will start the season with Brind'Amour in the lineup (and poisoning the locker room). I fear that whichever youngsters are lucky enough to break camp with the team will be relegated to third- and fourth-line duty while Cole scores two goals on Staal's right wing in the first three months of the season.

Sorry, but I'm not pessimistic for the sake of being pessimistic. I'm down because I'm tired of sitting here watching this team go down the same road time after time. I think it looks like we're headed there again. If you don't think so, then I think you're being overly optimistic. To each his own.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote