View Single Post
Old
06-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
In the modern era, over 30 years of drafting (1980 to 2009), the Habs have drafted 35 players in the first round in 28 drafts ('99 and '08 they traded their 1st rounder)

Out of the 35 players they drafted in the 1st round, only 8 have been impact players with more then 2 seasons with the Habs. (Svoboda, Corson, Stevenson, Koivu, Komisarek, Higgins, Kostitsyn, Price) Half of those 8 were drafted this decade, so from 1980 to 2000 the only real success we had in the 1st round was a great player in Koivu, a solid 4th liner in Stevenson and 2 quaility players in Svoboda and Corson.

I know that Timmins work has been beaten to death around here and the jury is still out on Kostitsyn/Price/Pacioretty while it's too early with Leblanc but I like what I see from him at least. (and to be fair it's not Timmins fault Price/Pac were rushed to the NHL) But with Chipchura and Fischer being a bust for us already and McDonagh being traded you can see why fans are concerned with our 1st round picks.

Since the draft is 2 weeks away, I thought I would post this as a team that has so many current NHLers (as well as coaches) I find it strange that in 30 years we have struggled so badly in the 1st round. Granted I tend to think that where a player is drafted is overrated, but for most fans they will be more familiar with the 1st round.
We've drafted pretty well for our 1st round picks actually. You aren't likely to get superstars picking 15th overall. Komisarek, Chipchura, Hainsey, Higgins, Kosti and Price are all decent picks for where we got them. What were you expecting?

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote