View Single Post
Old
06-12-2010, 11:56 AM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Henrik Lundqvists stats under Tom Renney.
05-06: 1485 Shots in 53 games. 28 shots per game.
06-07: 1927 shots in 70 games. 28 shots per game.
07-08: 1823 shots in 72 games. 25 shots per game.
08-09: 2007 shots in 70 games. 29 shots per game.

Last season under John Tortorella: 2109 shots in 73 games 29 shots per game.

only 1 season under Renney was noteworthy in how low it was comparatively, otherwise his workload is nearly identical to 3 of the 4 years under Renney.

Also, in those seasons we didnt have our backup goalie completely melt down like this year. Vally was somewhat decent in those seasons (im going off of memory, someone can look up the stats though). This year though, Torts was basically in a bind...no backup goalie you could even remotely trust till we got Alex Auld...and by then you HAD to play Henrik every game because we were in a fight to make the playoffs, which, we almost did.
I'm not blaming it on Tortarella, simply stating that I think Tortarella's system doesn't allow you to play a goalie for 70-75 games and get the type of production you need. Regardless of shots per game, I think most would agree Hank had to carry this team to victory a lot more under Torts than he usually did under Renney. There's a reason Brodeur was able to do it for so long, and it's not because he's some superhuman athlete (although i'm sure that's part of it) the system helps minimize the wear and tear since he isn't standing on his head every game.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote