Thread: Speculation: Why not Clutterbuck???
View Single Post
Old
06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Here's some more of my negativity regarding Chuck Fletcher...

Trading a 4th and a 5th for Brodziak and a 6th. Going one for one, would you really consider Brodziak and Darcy Keumper to be of greater value than Olivier Roy and Toni Rajala? I know Edmonton drafted Kyle Bigos with that pick, however, the next best forward was the Fin, Toni Rajala. I know there are few 4th rounders that make a huge impact in the NHL, but for a rookie GM that was stating publicly that his intent was to "replenish the prospects", it's my opinion that two higher round picks were better than Brodziak.

This also led to the beginning of the season "center controversy", but it still left a major gap in our roster of a top-2 center. Without Brodziak, we had Koivu, Belanger, Sheppard and Pouliot. Granted, Pouliot did a lot better at wing in Montreal, but why trade the picks for a forward, who "could play wing" when there were several available on the market? Hell, if we wanted depth at center, I'm sure Kolanos would have been more than willing to re-sign for league minimum on a two-way contract. Of all the DR re-treads, this one made the most sense to me for the "new system" because of his speed and grit.

It baffled me a bit, because of all of the inconsistency. Were we going to try Bouchard at center? If so, then that makes that trade even more of a head scratcher. We then had Koivu, Bouchard, Belanger, Sheppard, and Pouliot at center. Yes, Bouchard went down to injury and we had to pick up Ebbett because Pouliot was being the floater that he is known for being.
Brodziak is a center, and I'm sure GMCF and HCTR wanted to have a center that they trusted at the NHL level. Brodziak wasn't that great on faceoffs going just 48.4%, but for some reason he got a lot of minutes. I don't think anything was a sure thing for them at the center position (as it played out during the season and the end here) I wasn't thrilled with the pick-up, but I don't think that it was that bad of a value for Brodziak.

He could be a serviceable 3rd liner as he can take faceoffs, but will have to better next year. I'm fine with the trade and we don't know how these prospects will end up. Maybe Kuemper is amazing at the AHL level and we can trade him away for good pieces or something? We just don't know yet. While some of Fletch's moves have been questionable, I think that he will turn this team around.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote