Old
06-14-2010, 09:57 AM
AyVee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Yes.

That's the long and short answer.

Ice time is expensive. Often, to offset that cost your kid will have to play very early in the morning.

Equipment is expensive. Even if you're buying lower end and looking for deals, a growing child will need new equipment every couple of years at least.

Basketball requires shoes, team fees and maybe a uniform fee.
Baseball requires cleats, a glove and a bat (doesn't even require a bat, really, my little league team shared about 5-6 for the whole lineup), league fee and maybe a uniform fee.
Football requires cleats and usually the shoulders and helmet are provided, but even if they're not, that's an additional two pieces, league fee and maybe uniform fee.
Soccer requires cleats, maybe a ball, league fee and uniform fee.

Even Lacrosse requires only gloves, a stick, cleats, many times the team provides the helmet and shoulders, a league fee and a uniform fee.

Hockey requires skates (probably more expensive than any one piece of equipment mentioned so far), gloves, stick(s), helmet, shoulders, shins, pants, elbows, a league fee (definitely more expensive than for any other team) and a uniform fee. Teams don't provide any of it unless it's an elite/sponsored team, so to get a start in the sport you have to buy it all yourself.

Very simply, the cost to play hockey is prohibitive when trying to grow the game in many areas. Where there is natural ice most of the year you only need skates and gloves and are likely to find hand-me-down skates because of where you live and previous generations having played. Once your hooked, you'll spend the money or nag your parents until they do, even if it's all bargain gear. Where there isn't ice year round and you don't get the chance to experience the game before you buy all the gear, it's tough to get parents to commit to the expenses associated with playing. No question about it.
Then there's the goalie gear which generally costs more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
You don't need skates for street hockey.
Your street hockey team's more open than mine.

Here (usually) If you don't have skates to play on, people would rather not play with you. It's jsut awkward when everyone but one person has roller-skates. However, exceptions can be made, but then you're the last one to be picked on a team, and you're usually getting crap talked behind your back. Unless you're a goalie of course...

I'm a goalie in colorado springs where I play either in the street (where the asphault chews up your wheels and pads like no tomorrow) or at cottonwood park where they have a public, roller hockey rink. Located outside of all places!!!
In winter it's too snowy to play, in spring it's too rainy, So the only time you can play in it is when it's godaweful hot (and underneath goalie gear, you'd die of heat stroke), or below freezing temperatures. Which is fine for me
"Whew, I'm sweatin."
"Well I can't feel my face!"
I'm not sure what everyone else is complaining about.

Who puts a roller rink outside in colorado!?! Where the weather changes every 10-15 minutes. So by the time the rink is no longer essentially a giant puddle, it will start to rain again in another 10-15 minutes.

So it's not only the price of gear and leagues, but the horrible marketing of the entire thing. It figures that the best sport on earth would be the most expensive.
Unfortunately, the 'hockey crisis' in NA is not exactly high on the list of things that need to be addressed. We need to blow politics and economic disasters out of proportion first.

Last edited by AyVee: 06-14-2010 at 10:13 AM.
AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote