View Single Post
Old
06-14-2010, 11:27 AM
LeftCoast

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post

The Islanders page on HF.com is so full of mistakes and misguided judgements that they need to simply start over. I heard HF.com wanted journalism majors writing for them over people who actually know the prospects, and the results support that theory fully. Having been on these boards for some time now, I can say with utter confidence that many posting here could do a much better job for their respective teams than the writers they currently have.
Nice essay - except in this case, HF is correct, the Islanders do lack high end goalie prospects.

As far as the proposed trade goes, I personally think the value is about equal, but both organizations are pretty high on these prospects so both might want more in return.

Hamonic is a top tier defensive prospect, one of a number of good young defensemen the Islanders have in their system including: Jack Hillen, Andrew MacDonald and Calvin de Haan. It is the wealth of young defenders that probably has Hamonic continually mentioned in trades. But Hamonic has a couple of big steps to make before he is NHL ready. It's one thing to stand out in the WHL as a 19 year old, but it's another thing entirely to do that in the AHL let alone the NHL.

For Canucks fans, Hamonic is comparable to Yann Sauve - similar production, similar size, similar game. He probably has a little more offensive upside than Sauve, but not on the same level as say Kevin Connauton. But he is bigger and much more reliable in his own end than Connauton.

Schneider is also a far better goalie than many realize. Before last year, if you asked anyone who was a better, more NHL ready goalie between Cory Schneider and Jimmy Howard, most would have said Schneider because he had out played Howard in the AHL for 2 years straight. His .905 save percentage last year in the AHL is actually more impressive than his previous years .919 or .928 because with all the injuries and call ups, Manitoba's defense last year was crap. But Schneider's value will not be realized until he can demonstrate a body of work at the NHL level. 10 games over 2 years is not enough.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote