View Single Post
Old
06-15-2010, 12:31 AM
Placebo Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinogradov8 View Post
Well, I started playing hockey this last season in December and played about 3 months (with little time on ice, like 2 times a week maybe) and before that I have never skated before. So now I am trying to look like I really tried this past summer and get my skating to a good enough level to play in several tournaments next year. Thankfully our coach believes in enforcers and old school hockey. But anyways, I am 6'0", 195 Lbs, and I want to be an offensive defensemen and I need to improve my skating for next season.

I am going to California for a month to get as much ice as I possible can and get better with skating and puck handling. I got my slapshots and wrist shots down off the ice with my shooting pad and still working on my snap shots. Anyways, I want to be able to learn the following things while im there: transitions, get faster in backwards skating, backwards crossover, get my hockey stop correct and both sides (feet don't stay together and no confidence with my right side haha), and explosive starts. Sorry for the long read, but I bolded all the important stuff haha.
If you can find a good power skating class it could be beneficial. But just practice practice practice. Being a strong skater is not going to happen over night. Especially considering you never skated before it's going to take a LOT of work, time and effort.

If you want you can try reading a couple of books. I recommend Peter Twist's "Complete Conditioning for Hockey" or Laura Stamm's "Power Skating". I'd also recommend doing some more workouts like plyometrics, etc.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote