View Single Post
Old
06-15-2010, 11:42 AM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Giroux's biggest problem, and largest limiting factor is that his shot is terrible. Kane's a guy that is going to post 30+ goals with some regularity in his career, I think. I really can't see Giroux doing that as of now. Thus why I really think the Gomez comparison is a good one... both are smallish, shifty guys with very good passing skills and, similar to Gomez, I just don't see big goal totals in Giroux's future.

I'm content with the Turco path, or whatever, but it's not ridiculous for Montreal to look for Giroux... and it's not some terrible value trade if we were to make the deal, IMO. As said, if both players achieve their potential I think we'd win a player-for-player swap without question.

As you, and likely everyone that's been around here knows, playoff production is largely meaningless to me in the big picture. Players almost universally revert to mean over larger samples of playoff play.
The Gomez comparison isn't bad although I don't think Giroux's future is at C, but certainly from a style/production point of view I think it's realistic.

Giroux is an odd one though, I think he can be an outstanding 2-way winger in this league, but he isn't going to have the goalscoring to be a 25+ guy.

So you're talking an 18 goal, 50 assist winger who has a very good 2-way game and can kill penalties, I'm blanking on comparisons for that.

I think Giroux will be the type of guy where if he's your 4th best forward, you're in a very good position at F, if he's your 3rd best forward, you're in a good position, and if he's your 1st or 2nd best, you might have a problem.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote