View Single Post
Old
09-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Davisian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho584
Actually, according to recent NY media stories its very possible Barnaby is gonna be cut lose at the waiver draft, apparently Sather is unhappy with him and he's unsure about his role on the team. I would like to see him back because he's one of the few role players capable of stepping in on a top scoring line if (when) one of our top liners gets hurt.
I don't think Sather's unhappy with him, and I don't see why he would after Barnaby's efforts, but it's a simple numbers game..

It basically comes down to Petro/LaCouture Simon/Barnaby..

The Rangers PK is pretty bad, so Lacouture has to stay.. Petro can kill, but having Barnaby and Simon in the lineup gives it a nice edge (but also one that could cause that ill fated PK to have to do a lot of work).. Simon is a recent pickup, has more size and has put up better numbers, more consistently, especially when healthy than Barnaby..

Of course, all this could be alleviated by exposing Messier and Malakhov (can't leave Kasparaitis open, the Ranger blueline needs whatever bite he can provide), but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to be left unprotected..

As far as the new guys, who knows if a deal is in place, maybe it has to do with one of the bubble guys mentioned above, but either way, they're good insurance policies for any prospective loses in the waiver draft, and the Rangers might finally find some depth..