Thread: Speculation: Buy out Justin Williams?
View Single Post
Old
06-16-2010, 12:23 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Really don't see a huge benefit of buying out Williams, you get some extra spending money this year but then you handicap yourself 1.16 mil next year.

Having an expiring contract has value, like we see in the NBA. Worst case scenario, a team like the Islanders would be interested since they need some contracts to simply make the cap floor. I think there's a little too much criticism that Williams played poorly down the stretch coming off of a broken leg.

Aside from Kovalchuk (the price tag may be too daunting regardless of Williams) and Marleau, is there anybody really that exciting to break the bank in free agency this summer?

Colby Armstrong doesn't strike me as a guy who'd come cheap either. While you peg him (in my opinion rightfully) as a good 3rd liner to put with Handzus, I think other teams still think of him as a potential 2nd liner and would pay accordingly.

Next summer looks potentially better with Simon Gagne, Patrice Bergeron, Alex Semin, David Backes as 'in their prime' guys. And then there are other big names like Brad Richards, Joe Thornton, Zdeno Chara, Andrei Markov, and Tomas Kaberle.

I'd rather Williams finish out the year and have his 3.5 million freed up in whole. Let's not forget that Simmonds is up for a contract after this year as well. If Dean goes out and signs somebody like Armstrong for ~3 million, how much cap space will be left to give to Simmonds?

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote