View Single Post
Old
06-19-2010, 08:26 PM
GothamRanger

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Giacomin and Gilbert had their numbers retired before the 94 guys ever played. Claiming they've been forgotten because they didn't win a cup is just ignorant. They have been and always will be loved at the garden. If any thing makes a team forgot about players it's the passage of time. Not whether they won a cup or not. Boucher and the Cook brothers won cups here, but they're not half as well known as Gilbert and Giacomin now. Bourque never won a cup in Boston. I guess they're going to forget about him.

Bathgate's number wasn't retired because he had a bad relationship with the ownership on his way out of town. When ownership decides to retire a guy's number has nothing to do with how the fans view him anyway. Montreal didn't get around to retiring Boom Boom Geoffrion's number until a few years ago for goodness' sake.
Fair enough. I know winning the cup doesn't determine who gets retired, I am saying that winning a cup has an inoordinate impact on how a player is viewed in retrospect, which explains why Richter is neck and neck with Lundqvist despite Hank's superior statistics.

If the Rangers didn't win the cup or Richter didn't have the international accolades I doubt #35 is up in the Garden.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote