View Single Post
Old
06-20-2010, 12:04 PM
md3k*

vCash: 500
Anyone who has played at an elite level knows the REAL cost of playing hockey. I was a goalie, so multiply a players cost by at least 3. (Goalie pads go for 1500-2000 these days for top end ones, that might be more than every piece of equipment for a player). Not sure on players cost for some but goalie is absolutely brutal, every good young goalie you see has rich parents).

1. Technical training (mostly on ice technical work), anyone who is serious will be doing this at least twice a week at 50$ per session.

2. Off ice training, unless you or your dad have an exercise science degree and know how to properly train, count personal training or hockey specific gyms as another huge cost. 40-50$ for the occasional private session. I've seen memberships for hockey specific training facilities range around 2500$ per year.

3. League Costs, playing on a AA or AAA team gets very expensive, it can cost a few extra thousand

4. Equipment, youth-intermediate equipment isn't nearly as expensive as senior/pro, and some pieces of equipment don't need to be replaced that often. Plus you can decide to get used equipment, so I don't look at equipment as the really big cost in playing hockey. For lower income families though equipment alone is expensive enough. (new set of senior goalie equipment can come to 4K$+ !!!!)

5. Time! Forgot to include this but it should probably be number 1. Doing all of the above while going to school=no free time, and I think that drives a lot of kids to quit.

md3k* is offline   Reply With Quote