View Single Post
Old
03-22-2005, 12:09 AM
HuskyFlames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86
Not true Alfredsson is only 31. Just look at Joe Sakic, Mats Sundin, Steve Yzermen, Mike Modano and Scott Stevens up until recently. The players I just listed were the highest paid plaeyrs on the respected teams until there mid 30's or are still the highest paid players on there team now. So why Cant Alfredsson do the same in Ottawa.
No offense, but I do not see Allfie in the same league as Sakic, Sundin, Yzerman, Modano. Alffie is good but those guys have had much better overall careers. I would also consider Hossa as good, if not better than Alffie right now. The market will determine the players worth and if guys like Hossa, Havlat are out producing Alffie, in 2-3 years and having mroe impact, they will get paid more than him. Just because he is the face of Ottawa means nothing with their salaries. Heck, Holik, Hatcher, Amonte, Arnott, Brindamour, Hejduk, kasparitus, Lapointe, Madden, Mogilny, Norstrom, Ozolinsh, Peca, etc aren't seen as the face of their franchises but they are all making 3-4+ million.

Redden in his prime will command 5 million, which is fair. The same goes for Chara. Hossa, Havlat and Spezza if they all bring in 80+ points will cost around 4-5 million in a new CBA. Add in Alffie at around 4-5 and all of a sudden you team of 6 players is around 27 million and that is quite fair (4-5 million) for a super star player. That could leave 13 million (if around 40 million cap) to sign basically around 15 players. That is pretty bad and no money to work with for the rest of the team, especially if they want a solid, #1 goalie.