View Single Post
Old
06-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Whitney still appears to be a serviceable player, but man is he getting up there in age. A two year deal? I'm not sure about that. Price and term being equal, I might even prefer Kariya.

I think this team should be effectively done with trying to sign old guys aside from the ones they've already got (Gonch, Cooke perhaps), or in the event of extreme bargains. Their veteran intangibles are meaningless now that the team's young core has taken the reigns on the ice and in the locker room. All you end up with is a semi-productive stop-gap or a plodding, huffing has-been that you can't waive or trade.

And I don't know what Whitney's going to do for our powerplay. Sure, he's a right-handed shot, but he isn't the front-net presence that our powerplay has lacked since Malone left. Put Malkin, Crosby and Whitney up front and you're still going to get a lot of outside shots and absolutely no second and third chances. Same as the past two years. What the powerplay needs more than anything is for Staal to become that front-net guy he can be.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote