Thread: Speculation: Contract for Hamhuis
View Single Post
Old
06-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yep, and this is the exact type of crap with Holmgren that drives me up the wall. The problem is obvious, and the potential solution is also obvious. I'm not saying to give away one of Coburn/Carle, but I don't see how having 4 D in that price range makes sense given the hole in goal. Perhaps you create that space from the forwards (not a terrible idea... but the 5 D situation would remain problematic against the cap in the coming years potentially), but the more obvious trade chip seems to be Coburn/Carle.

I love this move if that's how they approached it. Hamhuis is better than Carle/Coburn, and then we can use them to get other parts and use that cap space on another position. I mean, if you swing a deal for Schneider centered around Coburn, I think that's a great overall use of assets. You've gotten (short term at least) improvement on D, and put a very good goalie prospect in the system (and, in that case, likely on the roster).
Agreed. He almost HAS to trade one of Carle or Coburn now. If you think Hamhuis is a better partner for Pronger, trade Carle. I really like the way Coburn is developing too.

The frustrating thing about the Hamhuis deal is that I'm not convinced he's a real upgrade on either, and he's going to cost a lot more.

If they could trade Hartnell's contract for a goalie prospect, then sign a biggish winger like Eric Nystrom or Taylor Pyatt to replace him, it would make more sense.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote