Thread: Sports hernia?
View Single Post
Old
06-21-2010, 09:18 PM
DevilsFan38

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread with the same problem.

I saw a doctor who reassured me that this is not a major issue because it is not causing pain. ***please note that if you are experiencing pain it IS a major issue*** Basically I have the choice of having it fixed via minor surgery, or continuing to live with it... with the understanding that it could become aggravated someday and need immediate attention.

Based on my doc's advice, I'm cleared to continue playing hockey with the hernia. I just need to take it easy and not do any weight lifting or other forceful exercise. Aerobic activity is fine.
What a hernia is is a weakness in the connective tissue of your abdominal wall, which allows part of your bowel to slide through the hole. As long as the bowel can slide freely in and out it's not a problem. But if the bowel gets stuck the blood supply can get cut off and cause the bowel to die which = major surgery.

So generally yes, lots of people live with hernias with no problem whatsoever, but if it does suddenly become painful you need to get to the ER ASAP.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote