View Single Post
Old
10-01-2003, 04:23 AM
Stonehands77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17
Hmmm....Yanic Perreault, eh?

Well, he has been THE best Face-off man for 2 years running. He also has out-scored Keith Primeau (27 and 24 goals to Primeau's two 19's) the last two seasons. It's one to think about, if you ask me.
You cannot be serious about this. Perreault is soft and not very good defensively. Yes, he can score, but look at all the ice time he gets in Montreal. He would not get that much here, and thus his scoring would drop. And he is DEFINITELY NOT a Hitchcock-style player.

Besides, Primeau is the third line, shutdown center. Who moves into that role when Primeau is gone? You've got Handzus (who's teamed with Gagne and Williams, a line that Hitch apparently likes, and this sure as heck isn't a checking line), Roenick, Lapointe, and Perreault then. Uhh, I guess it would be Handzus, but then you'd have to rearrange everything. And pair Gagne and Williams with Perreault? Ugh, talk about a line that will have issues defensively.

No, I cannot see this as a move forward for the Flyers. They improve slightly in the faceoff circle, but lose hustle, grit, and defensive ability. The offensive step up is not enough to make up for the loss in defensive play, IMHO. I'd turn it down, and chuckle about it while doing it.