View Single Post
Old
06-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Dice on Ice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Like I said, it's a simplistic approach. And for the record, I remember being in a Las Vegas hotel room and seeing the Campoli trade scroll on ESPN. My first thought "What the hell is Ottawa thinking?"

I'm just saying that if I was in Dale Tallon's shoes, I'd certainly be open to trading some of those picks for immediate help. Being that Tallon is infinitely familiar with Versteeg and the other guys Chicago's going to have to trade, Florida makes a logical landing spot.

Florida wasn't that far off from a playoff team 12 months ago. And if this past playoff showed anything, it gets pretty wide open in the East once the playoffs begin.

If I'm Florida, do I simply hang onto #15 and take somebody like Austin Watson who is a high character guy that started to show some offensive promise? Sure, can't blame them if they did. But i also can't blame them if they wanted to replace Horton's offense either.

Tallon stated that he planned on following his Chicago blueprint of just stockpiling talent. So he very well may just use all those picks this year and hope they all develop 3+ years down the road.

And the premise of my argument was the original poster's assertion that the Panthers got bent over in terms of trade value. While I think Horton's set up for a career year in Boston, the Panthers can very well walk away pretty happy with this deal as well.
I agree with everything except the idea that Versteeg merits the 15 in exchange. I don't think he does. And there's no way he comes close to replacing Horton's production by himself.

Dice on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote