View Single Post
Old
06-24-2010, 04:37 PM
TomLaidlaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
No one says that...

You're trying to ignore a crucial oversight on your part, and that is you missed what is meant by "trending". You're not trending up when you're one of the best teams, you already are up which means you can't be trending up. You're trending up when your franchise was in bad shape (us pre-lockout) and now is in better shape (lots of youth, but some bad contracts with vets). Looking at the team and where it's going in a few years we will have no terrible, crippling contracts and a ton of impressive home-grown players (great shape).
I haven't seen such delusional optimism since the Mayor in the movie Jaws.

"Martin, it's all psychological. You yell barracuda, everybody says, "Huh? What?" You yell shark, we've got a panic on our hands on the Fourth of July. "

2005-2006 - 1st Round Playoff Exit
2006-2007 - 2nd Round Playoff Exit
2007-2008 - 2nd Round Playoff Exit
2008-2009 - 1st Round Playoff Exit
2009-2010 - No Playoffs

How is that trending upwards? If anything we are regressing.

Don't worry though. We have a bunch of incredible prospects on the way to save the day like Derek Stepan, Christian Dube, Chris Kreider, The Ferraro Brothers, Stefan Cherneski, Pavel Brendl, Jamie Lundmark, and Grachev. Who are all CAN'T MISS NHL PROSPECTS!!!! Nothing is guaranteed with prospects. If any fanbase should know that it is us.

I could at least understand the optimism if Sather was no longer in charge. The same guy who gave out all those crippling contracts is still here! What makes anyone think he has learned from his many mistakes?

Fan: Hey Glenn, how are you able to appease an entire fanbase when the team has trended downward from 2nd round playoff team, 1st round playoff team to missing the playoffs over the course of three years? While in the process giving out some of the worst contracts in the post lockout NHL era?

Sather: "Easy, press release telling them that the Flyers made the finals and they only beat us out of the playoffs by 1 point. If that doesn't work, then you talk about how we are gonna build around our kids and develop internally."

Fan: Didn't you say the same thing coming out of the lockout?

Sather: Yeah, I say it every few years when things don't go my way. Fans don't remember anything past a year, it is great. Plus, everyone loves the term " develop internally and play the kids". It is exactly what they wanna hear.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote