View Single Post
Old
03-24-2005, 03:20 PM
EJsens1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty
He brings alot to the team. Yes, he's prone to injury - in large part due to the type of game he plays but also due to the fact that he doesn't seem to have the most durable body.

As for cutting their losses, the Oilers have done that alot in the past decade or so. Re-signing Smyth was a good symbol that they can keep their better players. Now I'm not saying they shouldn't trade him. If some team offered them a future #1 center to build around it'd be tempting. I'm just not sure Havlat is the ticket. He's a great winger, but the Oil do have talented wingers. What they need is a center. Perhaps a 3 way deal would be best if the Sens really wanted Smyth.
I agree and was going to type that the Oilers have cut their losses more then once. But in the long run, I think Ryan Smyth isn't going to do much for this team when it matures in a few years. Trade him now, get a couple younger strong assets and in a few years, those assets will be more valuable then Smyth will be. At least, that's how I see it.