Old
10-01-2003, 07:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
pay and play Barnaby an entire season. He'd be a nice March acquisition though, when the obligation is minimal. Most teams that can afford him, don't really need him at this point. Most teams in the league aren't looking to spend $1.6 million on a 3/4 liner. Many teams, I believe, wouldn't mind a 23 year old, who can play a fourth line, an who can kill penalties, and who is physical, and who is paid like a fourth liner.

This is not anti-Barnaby sentiment. And I'm not a major fan of Barnaby, but I recognize his value on this team. But, to me, he's easily replaced, especially given the fact that he's going to be playing on a fourth line. And again, the only reason I keep Petro over Barnaby is his ability to kill penalties - neither will score a bunch on a fourth line, but Petro has that added benefit, and he likely will take fewer stupid penalties.

Why keep Simon? I'm not formulating an opinion here - just being logical in the fact that Sather didn't acquire a guy to put on the wire. Lacouture? As a fourth liner, he's younger and more useful. I just went over Petro. Further, neither Lac or Petro are gutless mercenaries. They are young, cheap guys that bring a lot of energy, and both of whom I did notice fighting this preseason. And again, they're capable fourth liners who kill penaties.
I think when it comes down to Petro, Lac and Barnaby which two add the most to the team. IMO Petro and Lac are very similar players with Petro being a touch better than Lac offensively and Lac being better defensively. With that said, this team really only needs one of those players. Yeah Petro kills penalties but he is not going to play ahead of Nedved, Lac, Rucinsky, and Messier (let's be honest here). I have little doubt that Lac can match 14 points that Petro produced last season (although this team should not need him to). And, Lac is bigger.

Barnaby is a different player from both of those guys. Yes he scored more than both Petro and Lac (he should playing on the top line although Petro did play with Nedved and Dvorak for the majority of the season) but he adds an eliment that this team. There is not another player on the Rangers who can agitate and pester opposing forwards and defensemen like Barnaby can. If you throw him on a line with Holik and Lundmark I think you'll see the best that Barnaby has to offer. Between Barnaby and Holik I think there would many a frustrated opposing top lines. He's more than a fourth liner which I don't think can be said about Lac and Petro.

I'll put it to you this way: there is no way that you would trade Barnaby for Petro or Lacouture.