View Single Post
Old
06-25-2010, 05:17 PM
braindead

vCash: 500
Well, I gathered my international scouting staff this morning, reviewed notes, watched video, went over combine and interview results and here is the game plan (disclaimer- you may not be shocked to learn I have no real staff, expertise, experience or talent but it allows me, like most hfboard "talent scouts" to be much more certain and decisive in my selections. I also like the custom of using "we" in posts to make it seem like I have a staff, or friends, or at least a crown from a small european monarchy, so roll with it. For research, I did read for a while on the internet and once stayed at a holiday inn):

Option #1 Trade up

Fans love to trade up, so, why not. In this case if Brett Connolly falls past #3, we are swapping our 1st rounder and some other good stuff to move up and pick him. Hips are for hula dancing and Hamhuis hip-checks... otherwise over-rated in hockey. We put him in our top 6 this year rather than giving those hips a chance to get stiff again.

Option #2 Trade down

Fans love to ***** so let's either pick a tiny d-man or trade down. Wait, we did the tiny d-man last year.... let's move! In this case, we package the pick and a basket of goodies to get two second round picks (or a late 1st and a 3rd) and take two of the following:

Johan Larsson- a consummate two-way player with unexpected offensive flair emerging.

Charlie Coyle- combine star and cousin of Tony Amonte, he's headed to BU after dominating lower level competition..... sounds a bit like Colin Wilson and we like Wilson.

A defenseman!!! My scouts like Stephen Johns-- he made teammate Jon Merrill look like a 1st round pick for US U-18. Going to Notre Dame, which we always like. Same size as Shea Weber which we like even better. Another combine star.

If not Johns then we go with Matt McKenzie, who's defensive defenseman approach makes Johns look like a Ryan Ellis playmaker. Hopefully, he falls to our 3rd round pick.

Christian Thomas- a smaller version of Stevie Sullivan, this offensive dynamo comes in at, like, 5'1" 114lbs..... but he can score!

Joey Hishon- a bigger version of Thomas perhaps, he has played with a broken foot, sports hernia, glass eye, and several cysts... Like the Monty Python character, he will keep fighting even if he loses both arms and both legs. My scouts used the phrase "high compete level" 14 times... I made them stop, finally, since it's such a stupid phrase.

Option #3 Keep the pick!

For anyone still reading, we love Etem, very much like Bjugstad (stop saying he's like Budish...), hate Howden, love/hate Watson, and hate all defensemen.

If we had to go "off the board" (which we never do because I'm a sheep in sheep's clothing), we pick fast-rising Beau Bennett who, like Jon Blum, is a slick skating southern cali boy that (in this case, briefly) went to BC to get on our radar. Unlike Blum, he's a forward with real offensive upside.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote