View Single Post
Old
10-01-2003, 09:23 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Henrik Sedin emerging into a very good player

Henrik Sedin is quietly (aren't all Swedes quiet?) emerging into a very good NHL player

Divorce your opinions of Daniel for a minute on this thread (Daniel is doing okay in the preseason, not great mind you).

Henrik is turning into a very good NHL player, and I wonder how long it'll be for the rest of the league to take notice? Particularly those of you who called them busts at 21 years old, or the 'Sedin Sisters' for being too soft.

Currently, Henrik has 2 goals, 4 assists and 6 points in 4 preseason games. Yes, it's only the preseason, but Henrik has come into camp like a man on a mission. One of the best conditioned Canucks at camp (he and Daniel scored in the top 4 amongst Canuck players on the physical tests), and it seems now one of the most determined. Henrik has very much improved his skating, which was his biggest drawback next to his lack of shooting. On his shooting, Henrik has stated that he will be 'more selfish' this year, but I'll believe that when I see it.. though 2 goals in 4 games is promising! More muscle means more weight attached to his 6'3 frame. Last I heard he was at 205/207, which isn't bad.

Anyhow, I can certainly be called a Sedin-homer. I am. But I feel Henrik is poised for a big year this year. I believe there's a chance he could steal Brendan Morrison's job as the #1 centre this year, in fact (not so much as being a better player, but Crawford it seems likes to move Morrison to the 2nd line from time to time to spread the scoring around more, and Henrik's passing game with those two goal scorers in Naslund & Bertuzzi is great to see). And while some say Henrik is nothing more than a 40 point-getter throughout his career, I would argue that there is a chance that Henrik could develop into a Jason Allison-like centre, posting big numbers, and making big plays.

What do you guys think? Am I nutso, bats in the belfrey looney? Is Henrik that good in your opinions?

(PS: Just to note, this thread is not about Daniel Sedin or the two brothers collectivly. Just about Henrik. Please stay on topic!)