View Single Post
Old
10-01-2003, 08:38 AM
  #50
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Please explain this quote to me
My statement was made to back up my assertion that they didn't finish in nowheresville. Now had I could have claimed that they didn't finish in nowheresville, and not have backed up my statements, but that would not have been a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
If you've an honest bone in you, FP33, you'll admit that I'm only trouble when I have the temerity to actually criticize *gasp* your beloved team. That doesn't bother me, I'd expect fans to defend their teams. On the other hand, claiming that my only reason for being here is to make trouble is both untrue and frankly unfair - and it seems particularly bizarre coming in a thread where my hockey position is this: "Flyers fans' expectations should be very high because they have a championship-caliber team."
I don't have a problem with criticism, I do it all the time. And honestly, it's refreshing to have an outside opinion on the team every once in a while.

However, I do feel you come into an argument with agitating Flyers fans as a goal. I'm also not the only person to make that connection, though I suspect you'll discredit King's position - unfairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
The idea that I'm trying to cause trouble by calling your team championship-caliber is ... well ... counterintuitive to say the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
I know that you'd like to make this about comprehension, but it genuinely isn't. It really is about writing.
You were ranting about writing what you mean and writing what you feel, and being clear about that. I assumed that the very next sentence (the one I quoted and replied to) would have been about that as well.

Apparently not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
And if you are still capable of doing that, I certainly applaud you. I assume you'll agree, however, that just because one is able to concede a point at one time does not mean he will always be able to do so.
I'm not going to commend you for a good argument when I don't feel you deserve it. I won't do it just so you'll like me more or to further your ego, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
At the same time I hope you'll admit that the standards IM, myself, and Liquidrage are placing on the team are more stringent than those you use to evaluate the team.
If believing that the Flyers had the odds stacked against them in regards to winning the Stanley Cup in their first year under Hitchcock, then yes they would be lower. However for this season, I've made no prediction. My standards for this season are quite a bit higher than what they were last season, and I suspect they're right on par with IM's, and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Agreed, and it only furthers my point that a claim that I'm only here to make trouble is an unmerited claim.
Maybe in this instance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Agreed, I never said you weren't clear, and I have been just as clear. I only ask you to live by the same standard you've set for me. If you GENUINELY wish me to identify the opinions in my posts, surely you must be prepared to do the same.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Well your comment was that I was a liar and that I make up information. You offered only one example, but now that you've corrected it to read what I REALLY wrote, you'll need to explain how it's a lie or how it's made up information.
In an argument we had previously (Phillies gay thread) you claimed I was a hypocrite because I kept referencing my gay friends, and then bashing homosexuals. Obviously, that was not the case, yet even after I made it clear I was being mistaken for another poster, you still used that argument.

You routinely claim I "imply" and "assert" things in a negative manner, when in reality it is nothing more than you misunderstanding and grasping for straws.

Just admit that you have no problem taking people out of context and fabricating bits and pieces of information to further your argument.

Brad* is offline