Thread: Speculation: Contract for Hamhuis
View Single Post
Old
06-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Asset Management, no secret is something I'm huge on, but this isn't one where I'm going to rip into him.

Considering where Parent was at in this organization, I'm okay with that. To skip words I've used before, based on Parent's time with the team, there isn't a lot of room in the NHL for guys like him right now. If the Flyers improve on defense (Bartulis passed him on the depth chart, or another move, someone else makes the team, etc.) Obvious Laviolette wasn't a fan either. I think there was a legitimate chance that Parent wasn't going to be among the top 7 defensemen on the team had he stayed. A 3rd round pick for a guy who wasn't going to be used isn't so bad. We would have only had one or the other, and since we weren't going to have Hamhuis and Parent was dropping on the depth chart, I'll take this.

Plus, how good are the chances we take this pick and send it to the Sharks for Nabokov? I would prefer not to, but you know having an extra draft pick than we had an hour ago, he'll be parading it around finding something to do with it.
Parent was hurt this year... and they admitted as much after the season. I'm not sure a healthy Parent is left off the top 6 in favor of Bartulis. At the very least, he was a good option to have in camp battling for the 3rd pairing. At ~1M there is very little reason to move him like this given our cap situation. It isn't like we have someone cheaper (admittedly this may change) as of now that can come in and be in that role.

We're in "win now" mode and we just gave up a cheap, bottom of the roster player... and when healthy, Parent was a good player for us.

I also don't see the friggin impetus to trade for Nabokov's rights... do we really think there are a slew of teams banging down the door for his rights? If we don't get Nabby is that really a huge loss against the rest of the goalie market?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote