View Single Post
Old
06-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Simple- if he makes the team worse... If he's given minutes by default and doesn't play well.

Assuming he gets a one-way contract, we'll have 4 young unproven defensemen the lineup next year. Sulzer, Parent, Franson, Klien- all will likely have one-way contracts.

The other option would have been to sign a vet like Mark Eaton for not a lot of money.

I'm not saying it was the wrong move, I just don't know. I watched most all the Philly playoff games and only noticed Parent a couple of times, mainly because he was barely on the ice. But at the least, it's a big question mark if we hand him a top 6 role next year.

My biggest Q is if our defense is set? Or do we plan to sign a decent vet? The Poile in me thinks it's option #1.
Based on what I remember about Parent's skating stride from back in prospect camp to what I saw him do in the playoffs...it was clear that he was not fully recovered from his back surgery.

His longer, more upright stride was due to his back injury. This summer I hope he is afforded the proper recovery time, works hard to strengthen the area, and comes into camp ready to resume his career.

I think with the coaching change in Philadelphia this season that Parent rushed back to avoid losing his roster spot. He will not be rushed here and they know better than anyone what his baseline stride and skill levels are...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote