View Single Post
Old
06-26-2010, 02:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
He also clarifies that he is closer to 190lbs now. He'll be going to St. Cloud State, where his father played hockey.

http://michiganjuniorhockey.blogspot...-st-cloud.html
Quote:
"He's a big, athletic kid with room to grow," said Jim Gravel, who scored 51 goals and totaled 101 points in his career under former head coach Charlie Basch. "Kevin's also got really good skating ability, which is why I think the SCSU coaches were so interested."

The Huskies' coaching staff is prohibited by NCAA regulations from making any public comment on recruits until they've signed a letter of intent.

"My points don't show it, but I like to jump up in the play," said Kevin Gravel, who won't turn 17 until March 6. "I'm a defense-first kind of guy, but I think I can add something in a lot of areas."

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....prospect-kevin
Quote:
Kevin Gravel is a big defensive defenseman from Kingsford, Michigan, right on the border of Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Wisconsin. He was a top player for Marquette, Michigan's AAA programs, and as a 16-year-old, earned an invitation to the US NTDP tryout camp. He didn't make the team, but ended up playing against the U17 team the following year while playing with the Marquette Rangers of the NAHL. His impressive play in the NAHL helped earn him a spot with Sioux City in the USHL, where he played last season.

Gravel received serious interest from numerous schools including Northern Michigan, and Michigan State, but chose to commit to St. Cloud State in the WCHA, where his father Jim played college hockey. Gravel will likely join the Huskies next season, but could defer his college enrollment and play another year in the USHL.

Gravel's style of play is purely defensive. He had a very little offensive output with the Musketeers, but his smooth skating and punishing defensive play made him one of the more respected defenders in the league, and earned him invitations to represent the United States at the 2009 Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament, the 2009 World Jr. A Challenge, and to play in the USHL All-Star game.

Strengths: Physical play, size, skating

Needs to Improve: Offensive play

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote