View Single Post
Old
06-26-2010, 11:25 PM
TheJudge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
What has Cogliano proven? That he can decline year after year? That he can not get more than 18 goals in a season? That he can not crack the top six on the worst team in the league even with all the injuries they had? He proved he can get a whopping 10 goals last season. Glen Metropolit scored 16 goals and 29 points last year, should Florida have given us the 15th pick for him? Would Edmonton have given Montreal the 31 st for him and would you have been happy with that trade?

Actually, Dominic Moore is a better example since he has the same points totals as Cogliano this year, and better totals last year. Dominic Moore cost Montreal a 2nd rounder. This season he scored 10 goals and 18 assists in 13 less games than Cogliano, who also scored 10, 18, 28 totals. The season before that Moore scored 13 goals and 32 assists for 45 points in 82 games where Cogliano scored 18 goals and 20 assists for 38 points in 82 games. So, are you telling me that Cogliano is worth the 15th overall when Dominic Moore is worth a second rounder even though Moore has more points in less games over the last two seasons? Again, would you have been happy to give Montreal the 31st overall for Moore?

Look, nobody is saying Cogliano is garbage, we are simply saying the guy is not worth a 1st round pick because he is simply "Joe Average" in the NHL, so far. Could he rebound and do better? Sure, look at Penner. Could he continue to regress? Yup, plenty of players have done that, too. Go look at most 3rd line centers, plenty scored 10 goals, none garner 1st round picks. Jarret Stoll has more points than Cogs over the last 3 years (even his 1st 3 years in the league he had more points than Cogliano), would he get a 1st round pick? No. Manny Malhotra had more points than Cogs over the last 2 seasons. He won't get a 1st in trade. The list goes on and on.

The reason the Oilers didn't get pick #15? If they only offered Cogliano you have your answer. It doesn't get any simpler. I wish Cogliano the best of luck, have nothing against the guy. However, at this point in his career, he is not worth a 1st round pick of ANY sort, just look at the numbers.
I think you missed the point. I'm saying that the #15 is likely going to be worse then Cogliano. Accordingly, If I were Florida I would have made the deal and swung the odds in my favor. If I were Edmonton, I wouldn't have done the deal for the opposite reason. I said nothing about what Cogliano has proven, or will prove. Instead, I spoke about the large probabability of drafting someone worse in the mid first round.

TheJudge is offline   Reply With Quote