View Single Post
Old
06-26-2010, 10:49 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
We can easily agree to disagree. NO harm, no foul.

Out of curiosity, what value does Andrei Kostitsyn hold, then, if Cogliano is a mid 1st rounder?
Well mid-late first rounder...20-30 I think is fair (for Cogs) - teams that are ready to win now

For AK, I don't really see that much different of value...He's bigger than cogs with better pure scoring talent...not as fast and seems to have a bad reputation (no idea why exactly, does he have work ethic / character issues?)...he is also 2-3 years older than Cogs but BOTH players, for argument's sake, have regressed a bit over the last few years...AK had injuries this year and Cogs got stuck with awful linemates (with Penner and Brule he was nearly a ppg player over last 16 games)

To me, guys like this that are still 25 or younger with upside have that type of value...imo, teams like Washington, Pittsburgh, LA, Detroit, Philly, etc. are in the position to give away picks in that range to add secondary scoring for current runs and in the future...to me it would seem like a good gamble to put AK on the wing with Crosby or Malkin to get some added secondary scoring...a lot better than guerin or dupuis imo...they ended up taking beau bennet, who a year ago was playing like Junior B 4th line minutes and wasn't excelling...a player in the 20-30 range may never help contribute...I guess I think it's worth the risk for teams looking to fill their top 6 and win now...they have 6 more rounds to add depth in the farm and with good scouting it may not even matter in the end

With that being said, perhaps trading a struggling player for another struggling player or out of favour previously touted prospect makes more sense than picks...I just think 1st round picks are overvalued after the first half (varies with depth)

SDig14 is online now   Reply With Quote