Thread: Brian Boyle
View Single Post
Old
03-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
There is a discussion over on the other Kings board speculating on why the Kings called the timeout when it was their turn to pick. I don't post there so I will just keep this topic alive and post my thoughts on the "time-out" and what happened before making the Boyle selection.
I (among many others) firmly believe that the Kings were set to pick Anthony Stewart, until the Florida Panthers traded up and selected Stewart one pick ahead of the Kings (and Florida probably knew or had an idea the Kings would be selecting Anthony).
The Kings probably had other options in case Stewart wasn't available, and one of those options was trading down and acquiring more picks, but the catch is, it is likely that the player they want might not be available with a later pick. If Stewart was still available, I don't think the Kings were going to call the timeout, but once he was gone, they decided to work the phones one more time to see if they could get a deal they liked, where they could still select the players they wanted.
The scouts had Stewart ranked above Boyle and Tambellini, but even if the Kings traded down, and Boyle or Tambellini were still available with their later picks, the Kings would have ended up selecting them anyway.