View Single Post
Old
06-27-2010, 03:03 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Probably from the report and Dubi and his agent were seeking a deal worth $4 mil per year.
Maybe Dubinsky does have a big ego. But even if Staal does, if the Rangers can wrap up a franchise player like him for the next 4 years, and at 3.5 mil per, Sather has got to get that done. Why play games with this kid? So he and Orr can dislike the franchise (and the way it's run) just a little bit more? Sather chases after useless Redden but plays hardball (like others mentioned) with a young superstar on the rise.

Again, it's not about leverage. It's more about a player deserving of a decent contract (and just as importantly, the fact that management realizes this and, wants to show the player how much they need him to stick around).

And people argue his day will come? It's already here. What else does he have to prove (especially when "compared to the defensemen who have earned their big pay day through the course of some success and Father Time")?

Fattalog, I'll say he's not only one of the best shutdown defensemen in the EC, but in the entire NHL.

I look around the league and still see the same old Ranger ####. Just about (if not all) other teams draft well and take care of their young kids.

I don't see any "ego" issues or young players having "swelled heads." The Rangers however, are the only team with the philosophy that "over the hill" players who have seen their better days are the ones deserving of big contracts because they've paid their dues while in Colorado/Buffalo or in Ottawa.

No one (I know of) is questioning the ego's of the players on young, up and coming teams like Colorado or Nashville.