View Single Post
Old
06-27-2010, 03:36 PM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
As far as education goes there is plenty of time. Lots of people go back in their early 20's or later and get an excellent education. Indeed, people often succeed better when they are little older and generally have a much better handle on what they want to pursue. Moreover, some excellent educational programs are being set up for WHL players. Besides that, most bona vide prospects leave college (like Tanev did) long before graduation.

If it is this kid's dream to play in the NHL and Dad wants to facilitate this, then Dad should be looking for something more appropriate for the kid's development than being a a freshman at Harvard. Even at the moment, this intention probably lowered the kid's draft status.
On the other hand, we're not talking about him going the college route to get a BA from some state school in Minnesota. A Harvard degree, regardless of what anybody here thinks of the institution, is a pretty amazing meal ticket. I'm usually one of the first guys to say a college-bound Canuck prospect should go to the CHL, but if I had a son in McNally's position - i.e., prospect, but far from a sure thing to make big NHL money - I'd be behind the Harvard choice.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote