View Single Post
Old
06-28-2010, 08:11 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
First of all, he would not be a waste of cap-space at all. He would make 750k at MOST and would get TWO years at MOST. How much money are you actually saving by replacing Shelley with Byers or Weise? 100k?

Secondly, Byers and Weise have ZERO NHL games so please stop pretending like you know their AHL goal scoring would instantly translate to the NHL. If we blindly used that logic, PA Parenteau would have secured a spot on our 2nd line for this year... "Size, grit, effort, and skill" are nothing but words at this point.

Furthermore, guys who scored 20 goals in the AHL aren't what we need on the 4th line. We didn't fail last year because our FOURTH line didn't score goals. We failed because the 2nd and 3rd lines didn't score goals and our defense was inconsistently mediocre at best. Weise certainly doesn't fill Shelley's role and I have my doubts that 195-pound Byers can either.

Shelley was a big part of our turnaround late in the season. He's proved that he fits on this team and had great chemistry with Prust and Anisimov. I doubt Anisimov gets 4th line duty this year, but I'd love a 4th line of Avery-Prust-Shelley. Prust DOES play center, and I believe Boyle should be the 13th forward with Voros in Hartford. Byers and Weise have not proved anything yet. If they look great in training camp, they can earn a longer look and perhaps a roster spot, but there's absolutely no reason to have roster turnover just for the sake of it. Shelley was good here and will be extremely cheap. It's simply not smart to not even make him an offer.

Guys who have done what was asked of them and played well here and won't be expensive or problematic to keep should be brought back. This means Prust, Christensen, and Shelley. They've all earned offers at the very least.
Actually you're wrong. Dane Byers has played 5 NHL games and scored a goal in limited ice time.

He scored the goal doing EXACTLY what this team needs on the lower lines. He was holding his ground in front of the net and scored on a rebound.

Dane Byers does everything Shelley does, but better.

Dale Weise has 2nd line upside.

Please, don't be a hypocrate. If Stepan, Kreider, and Grachev are impressive then so are Byers and Weise. They were integral parts of a PRO hockey team last year.

People ***** about lack of size, "jam" and scoring, and Byers and Weise do all of that.

How do I know their game will translate? Because they play a simple go-straight-to-the-net game. They play north-south. They crash the net. The fight in the corners and on the boards.

That kind of game translates. Please don't mock the AHL. When a 21 year old scores over 20 goals in the AHL it is impressive.

Jody Shelley at 2 years is a waste.

Byers and Weise are ready NOW and its time to see what they have at the NHL level.

You want Prust, fine. But the guy is equally as limited as Shelley. What are his career numbers?

Again, classic case of NYC overrating its mediocre "blue callar" players.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote